By Bob Brock
Dear Prime Minister
The Paris Climate Agreement.
- You ratified the Paris Climate Agreement on Thursday 10 November 2016 without discussion with the Australian people and without revealing the implications or the cost.
- You did this despite protests from Liberal and LNP Branches in NSW and Queensland.
The Cap and Trade Emissions Trading Scheme.
- Mr Abbott handsomely won the 2013 election by committing to revoke Labor’s Carbon Tax.
- We didn’t know then that Mr Abbott had apparently made an unpublicised deal with Greg Hunt to support a Cap and Trade Emissions Trading Scheme.
- You broke faith with the Australian people by usurping Mr Abbot as leader in September.
- Then, on the last sitting day of Parliament in December 2015, you enacted Greg Hunt’s bill, supported by Labor and the Greens, for “The Emissions Reduction Fund Safeguard”.
- This bill was in effect a Cap and Trade Emissions Trading Scheme, not dissimilar to Ms Gillard’s Clean Energy Act 2011 which the people had previously rejected.
- We only learned of it when we read Alan Kohler’s article in The Australian on May 23, 2016.
- Australia has an ambitious and scientifically unjustifiable target to reduce CO2 emissions by 26 to 28 percent below 2005 levels by 2030.
- Subsidies for Renewable Energy are currently running at over $2.8bn a year.
- Estimates of the total cost to Australia of renewable energy are up to $60bn.
- There is a worldwide commercial failure of renewable energy projects,
- There are no foreseeable prospects of affordable bulk energy storage technology,
- There is a TOTAL lack of any scientific evidence justifying the closure of thermal power stations because of their CO2 emissions in favour of renewable energy plants,
- It is essential that we have the lowest cost electrical energy technically available, and
- Mr Trump and the Republicans have said they will wind back President Obama’s Climate Change policies. When they do, you and your policies will be left politically high and dry.
You have not been practicing Open Government Prime Minister, so now please tell us:
1. Why are you ratifying unexplained secretive Climate Change Agreements with the UN?
2. Why did you introduce a Cap and Trade ETS contrary to public expectations?
3. Why are you supporting costly and unreliable renewable energy?
4. What is the cost to Australia of these Climate Change Agreements?
This week’s Newspoll and Mr Trump’s Presidential victory are clear warnings that if you don’t start acting like the leader of a true Right-of-Centre Political Party, we will all have three years of a Labor Government and you will be yet another failed Australian Prime Minister.
Robert J Brock.